[TowerTalk] Guying a 40' Fiberglass Mast...Alone

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guying a 40' Fiberglass Mast...Alone
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:04:55 -0500
Alan,

I have been able to single handed erect some supports that apparently
defy consideration by some. Without additional information it's difficult
to give you specifics. A 40 foot mast that starts out 2" OD at the bottom
should have some rigidity to offer stability, unless it's real flimsy.

In any case, I would concentrate on the middle set of guys. And I would
concentrate on temporarily managing 3 of the 4 ropes at that level. This
would give you 120 degrees on the compass while raising the support.

I have tied "bricks" to the two opposing guys and let them drag along
the ground as I pulled on the opposing guy. This technique presupposes
a tilt base mechanism. And you have to gauge the appropriate weight
of the two bricks or it can topple as you near the vertical position. The
counterweights can come flying toward you if they're not heavy enough!

It sounds like your case is to lift your mast 4 feet and drop it into the
cemented pipe sticking out of the ground. If this is so, it adds a degree
of difficulty that I would not attempt in a solo attempt! In that case I would
have 5 people involved. One on each of the (middle) guys and someone
to make the lift into your mount at the center.

Someone probably has links to the "falling derek" type of installation
that allows you to erect even taller masts by yourself. You should take
a look at this method and reconsider your options.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 9