Re: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Dorm room antenna?
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 21:38:14 -0400
When I was at LSU in 1965 to 69 I found the same problem as at Clemson.
First, the club station was a mess and it was in the EE building so until I
found a ham in EE I could not get inside.

There were three hams on the same floor of my first dorm (the other 2 were
dorm proctors).  The dorm next door had a 80 meter dipole on the roof (only
3 or 4 feet off the roof).  I found the ham and he was a 80 meter traffic
man with an old Galaxy transceiver which he locked away in his desk cabinet
when not in use.  So one of the proctor hams on my floor introduced me to
another ham with a mobile.  I remember working a bunch of South America in a
Dx contest with ease.

Luckily I was only 65 miles from my home QTH so I would drive home every so
often to get my fill of operating.  The main big gun in town (or nearby) was
Dunc Carter W5IOU who liked big quads
but I never got a chance to operate his station.  Even with the president of
the University being a ham
we never could get a club station up and running.   Here in Atlanta, Georgia
Tech W4AQL housed a very active station for awhile.

Too bad every University/College does not have a club station!

Dave K4JRB