Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Thrust bearing re-grease
From: "Peter Voelpel" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 21:33:15 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: towertalk-bounces@contesting.com
[mailto:towertalk-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Richards
Sent: Montag, 3. November 2008 19:50
To: K7LXC@aol.com
Cc: w3ea@hotmail.com; towertalk@contesting.com; ve5ra@sasktel.net;
draxfelton@gmail.com

I am repeatedly intrigued how many hams will disregard the manufacturer's
design and specifications, in favor or some some well-intentioned, and often
commonsensical, alternative solution.  Or how they might ask their well
intentioned buddies, before they inquire of the manufacturer, what is the
correct part or method to employ.  In this way, they often re-engineer the
product and substitute different components and methods.

An example is where the operator wants to add guy wires to his
self-supporting tower.  At first blush, it would seem sensible enough, like
wearing a belt with your suspenders... but on further analysis, it is
dangerous because it adds unwanted, and apparently unexpected, downward
forces that can overs-stress the support cable and cause it or other
components to fail.

In the instant case, the operator plans to grease a grease-free component.
While it seems a commons sense plan to grease the gnashing metal gears,  it
proves counterproductive and possibly harmful to do so.

But my instant curiosity is why the operator did not ask the manufacturer
about the plan, first.  After all, the manufacturer is, presumably, the best
informed party concerning its product.
And, if not, then maybe you want to get goods made by some other outfit...

Just MY take, anyway....  of course your mileage may vary.

==================  K8JHR  ==================

K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>     In all things, follow the LXC Prime Directive to  "DO what the
> manufacturer says" and you'll typically have better and safer  results.

As I mentioned before, the Yaesu thrust bearings come greased, being build
with aluminum housing and races and use steel balls. After the grease is
gone they will stuck pretty soon, I have two of them and I refitted grease
valves for good reason. Of course I use a cover against dirt, water etc...

What support cables on a free standing tower? There isn´t any on my free
standing tower.

If you mean a crank-up, Versa Tower in the UK recommends guying for windy
aereas. I bought mine 100´ with a set of guy-cables for guying at 5 levels
factory direct.

73
Peter