[TowerTalk] wire antenna question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] wire antenna question
From: "Drax Felton" <draxfelton@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 13:49:37 -0500
>From what I've read in materials from the ARRL is that anything under a
2.0:1 SWR is great.

However, anything under a 5.0:1 SWR is negligible loss at HF frequencies.
Fighting it lower is a pursuit of diminishing returns.

Feed your antennas with ladder line and a tuner or put the balun as close to
the antenna as possible to reduce transmission line losses.

Resonance is overrated. You want your radio to run full power into what it
sees as an SWR under 2.0:1.

On the other side of the tuner or balun it really doesn't matter if it's
8:1, 15:1 or whatever because the losses are RF radiation losses and not
losses as heat in the coax.

What you want to prevent is a high SWR (> 5:1) on coaxial cable.  On ladder
line it doesn't matter.

ARRL members can read this article that debunks the myths of SWR and
resonance:
www.arrl.org/members-only/tis/info/pdf/Reflect.pdf

Message: 4