Re: [TowerTalk] 43ft Vertical Feeding Question and Balun type,

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43ft Vertical Feeding Question and Balun type,
From: "Art Trampler" <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 12:29:57 -0600
OK, so what happens if we modify the N3OX approach.  I have a Hy-Gain AV640
as my only antenna, and have it mounted on a 20', foldover "tower."  See,
there's a tower to this.  SEriously, 4" diameter up to 11', big hinge, and
2.5" diamtere above that...will hold a small yagi.

The AV640 is roughly 3/8 wave, using stubs off the main main support similar
to a Hy Tower.

What happens if we take the N3OX approach, but put two, or possibly three
wires going up the outside of the fiberglass, one the full 60' length, one
perhaps at 3/4 wave for 20 meters, and one perhaps 3/4 wave at 10 meters,
and tune the shortest for 10-15, the next for 17 - 30, and the longest for
40 - 160?

Am I as nuts as I think (due to interaction between the vertical wires?) or
is there some logic here?  It seems to work with the AV640 even though the
stub is shorter than and next to the main tubing.  As an alternative,
perhaps grounding the other two wires that are not in use would help.

Thoughts?

Art, K0RO