Re: [TowerTalk] Crank down towers when away

To: ac9s@mchsi.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Crank down towers when away
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2008 23:47:06 -0500
ac9s@mchsi.com wrote:
> "Do you guys always lower the tower
> when you skip town for a day or two?   Or go to work?"

Although  don't have a "crank up at present" it'd have to be strong
enough to handled things like I do now.
Unless I'm going to be gone for an extended period I don't disconnect
anything including coax.  If I'm going to be gone for several weeks I'm
likely to disconnect the coax, but I might not.  I never disconnect
control cables and rarely unplug anything.

Lightning:  There have been at a dozen verified, direct hits on the
tower. How many its actually taken I have no idea.  One was when I was
operating/running the computers, but not the station.  The gigabit
network with 4 computers, a router, switch, and modem, hiccuped, the
UPSs complained, and didn't stay down long enough to even interrupt a
data transfer to the computer in the shop.  The 133' of  CAT5e runs
within 10' of the tower base.

I seriously doubt even high wind warnings would cause me to lower a
crank up.  If it isn't heavy enough to stand the gaff, I'd not put it
up.  Much of my operating is done when the weather is too bad to work
outside.

Basically, unlike Kieth "as a practice" I don't disconnect anything and
the tower has been stuck a minimum of 12 times in the last 6 years. It
was running about 3 times a year, but nothing in the last two.

One day a neighbor came over and asked me if every thing was working. I
said it was, but why would he ask.  It seems he was standing in the
doorway to their patio looking at the tower a tad over 200' from him
when it took a direct hit.  No damage.  Since then he calls it the
neighborhood lightning rod. I didn't explain he's too far away to be
within the so called, cone of protection.

The only concession I make is the computers do have cordless keyboards
and mice.

73

Roger (K8RI)