Re: [TowerTalk] Welding rebar

To: towertalk@contesting.com, k4kyv@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Welding rebar
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 14:46:07 EST

In a message dated 12/10/2008 7:26:42 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  I have heard it said many times that one should not weld the  rebar cage
together, but tie it together using tie wires.  But I have  never heard any
explanation of why.

>  What problems would be  caused by welding?  I can't see how such a minor
detail would make any  significant difference, but a welded cage is certainly
easier to handle before  the concrete is poured in, and less likely to fall
apart just as the   concrete is being dumped.

    The answer that it is made from scrap metal makes  it difficult to know
what you're welding as was stated previously. I think  that you can braze it
though.

    This is only a problem if you're using your rebar  cage for an Ufer
ground and you need the electrical continuity. For all other  applications,
wire
ties are fine.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC