[TowerTalk] Capstan Winch

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Capstan Winch
From: "Denis Coolican" <coolican@telus.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:23:41 -0700
Jim, tnx for your comments.  From the readings I have taken with pf, kva,
current  and kw the efficiency comes out to around 82 percent which I though
was pretty high.  I note in my readings and your comments that it is not
advisable to get the pf to close to unity using capacitors for pf correction.
The motor does have a thermal cut out but I do not see anything on the
nameplate about impedance.

The 60:1 gear box was purchased from Princess Auto here in Canada.  It has a
worm gear and is just about impossible to turn backwards. I would imagine you
could find one at your farm supply store.  You have to make sure that the
gearbox is rated to handle the power you need to turn the capstan.

Regards,

Denis ve6aq with ve6fi