Re: [TowerTalk] 25g questions

To: <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 25g questions
From: Donald Hofmann <electroubleshooter@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:55:19 -0600
Thanks Jim

I can probably take my hydraulic driven post hole digger and dig some holes
around the tower and then take the tractor and pull it plumb and then backfill
the hole.

How plumb does it need to be?

73

Donald W5DWH

Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 12:57:46 -0500From: jimjarvis@optonline.netSubject: re:
25g questionsTo: electroubleshooter@hotmail.comCC: towertalk@contesting.com
regarding the tilted foundation:
Back in my broadcast days, we were putting a new station on the air.
We had four 210' rohn 55 towers, in line, on a river bottom pasture.
A hurricane hit, just before we completed the proof of performance, with
15' of raging river flowing over that pasture, at 20 knots or better.

All four foundations were eroded,  tilted by as much as 20 degrees and
twisted by another 10-20 degrees.    We were able to pull all four back into
column, under the towers, and build subsidiary foundations around them
to protect against future erosion.

So:   I would DEFINITELY re-plumb the tower, pulling the base vertical again.
To do so, you may need to dig and loosen soil on one side.   You should place
come-alongs as close to the foundation as possible, and tied to your guy anchor
deadmen... or some other deadfall.   5 degrees should be easy to correct.
Digging out the dirt on the uphill side is likely the worst part.

N2EA