Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Going Open?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, Kim Elmore <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-259 Going Open?
From: Bill MacLane <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 17:52:17 -0800 (PST)
Starting with 9913; it is not waterproof with a PL-259
Second PL259 connectors are not waterproof.

What you may be experiencing is fretting.  It is oxidizing at the point of
contact whether it be solder or point contact of a mating face of a connector.
Tin-lead is very suseptible to fretting.

There are connectors made specifically for 9913 available from the RF
Connection.  Also N connectors are water tight to a degree.

Even with N connectors I heatshrink over them with waterproof heatshrink,
especially if they will lay in water or be on a tower.  I like climbing, but I
do not like to redo my work whether on a broadcast tower, microwave STL or my
amateur gear (tower pending).

The other thing with solder exposed to the elements (like water and moisture)
is it will crack.  Thus leading to an open or very high resistance contact.
This has been experienced where folks solder copper conductors and they get
burried. The reason a good ground plane and radials are brazed at connection
points.

Hope this helps.  I'm sure others have even more suggestions.

73,
Bill
AI4WM