Re: [TowerTalk] PL-239 Going Open?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Kim Elmore" <cw_de_n5op@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] PL-239 Going Open?
From: "Bill Aycock" <baycock@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:01:36 -0600
Kim (and any others)--

I make assemblies of copper that are normally used in the hand, and I have
used lead-free (Tin-Silver Plumbing solder) for assembly. I use both Torch
and Irons to make the joints. I have had no problems in several years.

As it happens, my supply of solder in the shack is all Lead-Tin, and in the
studio it's all Silver-Tin. It was not planned that way-- it just  happened.
The fluxes are different, but otherwise I see little difference in
application or use. The only connecter failure I have had recently was
caused by a faulty (mine) joint in a lead solder  braid-to-body junction in
a tower top RG213 link. It was hell to find because  it was intermittent.

With all the comments I have read about  problems, I have some questions.
Many of the comments seem to be "anecdotal" at  best, and I would like to
get some facts that can be checked, or traced to sources or Specs.  Hams are
notorious for jumping from single instance examples to universal truths.  I
know--I  was first licensed in 1952.

Does anyone have data or knowledge of the causes of problems with the
Tin-Silver (lead free) solder, particularly in outdoor, Ham  use?

Thanks- Bill-W4BSG