Re: [TowerTalk] lines into trees

To: "Richard Hill" <rehill@ix.netcom.com>, "'towertalk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] lines into trees
From: Dennis Ashworth <k7fl@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:43:12 -0800
Thanks Rich,

When the line breaks, the weight will travel quite some distance. I
recall trying to get on the air when living in an apartment in the
early 1970's. It had to be a stealthy job requiring small gauge wire
and sneaking around before sunrise to avoid detection by snoopy
neighbors. I didn't have fishing weights so I tied a bunch of
hardware nuts to the line, sighted the perfect tree limb and
launched. The shot was perfect - except the line broke. The hardware
rained down on 3-4 houses down range making a huge racket. I
retreated inside behind the curtains and watched least one neighbor
emerge in his bathrobe to investigate. Stupid thing to do, but we
were young back then and often neglected the consequence of our actions.

Oh, and I never did put the antenna up in that particular tree, but
struck a great deal with the landlord behind the apartments. It was
perfect with two tall trees in just the right place. The only problem
were two big dogs guarding the large shop rented by some rough
looking characters who "bought" old cars and parted them out. Neither
the dogs or the car guys liked my being there - they insisted I
contact them before venturing into the lot. I eventually got the
antenna installed (with slingshot and fishing weights) and all was
well. A few days later a couple of policeman knocked my door
inquiring about my relationship with the car guys out back - the
policeman had seen me erecting the antenna on the rented lot. Seems
the cops had a stakeout in the apartment next door watching all the
cars arrive during the weekend and parts leaving randomly throughout
the week. A few days later, the police raided the place, arresting 10
bad guys, several stolen cars, a cache of semiautomatic weapons and
drugs. I'm glad I didn't try to do my stealthy work out there!

Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

==