Re: [TowerTalk] Quarter Wave Sloper (half sloper)

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Quarter Wave Sloper (half sloper)
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 15:02:52 -0500

Bob Kellow wrote:
> Been trying to get up to speed on these...Learned that height is not
> important, as it's the tower that will radiate, primarily.  My tower is 70'
> with a Steppir 3 ele and other assorted antennas for VHF, all on a 10' mast.
> Looking at the Alpha Delta DX-B, which would give me 30/40/80/160m.  Has
> anybody installed one of these on a 70' tower?  If so, what height was
> ideal?  Would like to do this right the first time....Thanks.

I really don't think it's the tower that radiates.  I use a relatively
steep 1/4 sloper on 160.  It tuned just like any other antenna with
pruning and seems to favor (slightly) the direction in which the wire
slopes.
at the bottom of http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm is a
write up and photos that show the assembly that mounts very close to the
top of the tower. Initially it was resonant on the low side. Pruning
adjusted the frequency just like it would on a dipole.

73

Roger (K8RI)