Re: [TowerTalk] what size wire for kilowatt TX ??

To: 'towertalk' <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] what size wire for kilowatt TX ??
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 21:28:34 -0500
I almost missed this as it was sent to "undisclosed recipients" which
often gets flushed at the ISP.

chas wrote:
> Feeling sorry for those poor souls who moved out of the wrong side of
> the track neighborhoods and left their towers and antenna farms to go
> live in gated communities where they are trying to figure out how to
> put up a 20' piece of wire....  invisible wire is the question here.
>

> what is the minimum size or guage of insulated wire which can be used
> hooked up to a kilowatt amplifier?

 From a practical approach without going into all of the math and
limitations, I've used ~132' (give or take) of #16 (bare copper clad
steel) on 75/80 fed with through LMR-400 hooked to an Alpha 76 for
years.  The antenna  is "almost" invisible except for the feed line and
balun at the center. It could easily be changed to an end fed arrangement.

What's the smallest usable? I don't know, but I'd not want to go much
smaller and I'd avoid insulated wired as it's extra weight and usually
more visible

73

Roger (K8RI)