[TowerTalk] center pin fit on crimp connectors

To: "Tower" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] center pin fit on crimp connectors
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:59:58 -0500
While we're on the subject of crimp connector center pins, I'm wondering if
anyone out there has had issues with the center pin on PL-259 crimp
connectors not making reliable contact in SO-239 connectors and barrel
connectors?

I've been using RF Industries crimp connectors for 9913 and LMR-400
(RFU-507-SI) on Bury-Flex cable. The center pin is swaged for about the
first 1/8", and the diameter of that portion is too small to make contact
inside sockets and barrel connectors. With the swaged area taking up the
first 1/8", only a small part of the unswaged area goes inside the hole.
Since the outer portion of the hole on most female connectors is slightly
flared for about 1/16", the resulting contact area between the unswaged
portion and the unflared portion is very small. I'd estimate that it's 1/16"
or less.

I've had issues with the center pin not making a reliable connection with
the socket, especially when using long feed-through barrel connectors. I had
been crimping the swaged area and soldering the center conductor, but had
been careful to confine the solder to the inside of the pin and not let it
drip down the outside of the pin. In order to get a good fit, however, I've
had to deposit some solder on the swaged/crimped area. This sometimes
requires a little fine-tuning with a utility knife if I use too much solder.
I don't like the solution, but it's the best I have found so far.

Has anyone else noticed  this problem? Does anyone know of a crimp connector
with comparable quality to the RF Industries product that doesn't have a
swaged center pin and can be used with the RF Industries crimping tool?

73, Dick WC1M