Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB4 Thrust bearing

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>, "Ed Stallman" <n5dg@airmail.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn TB4 Thrust bearing
From: "Bill Aycock" <baycock@hughes.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 15:55:35 -0600
Ed--
The Rohn TB3 and TB4 are the result of poor Engineering; the fault you see
is the result of hard steel balls making pits in soft Aluminum races. With
this design, it cannot be avoided. You can take the assembly apart by
removing the machine screw that is in the outer race, and taking the balls
out. This will let you examine the balls and the races. The "designers" of
this thing do NOT recommend grease because it holds dirt and grit, and
causes wear.
Good luck--Bill-W4BSG