[TowerTalk] 25g & 40m yagi

To: towertalk@contesting.com, "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 25g & 40m yagi
From: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 10:22:57 -0500
> I hope he had the rotators mounted independently of the 25G. IOW, the
> rotator mount affixed to the concrete and not the tower (It did say,
> ground mounted).  A full size 3L 40 could likely over stress the
> 25G in
> shear with a base mounted rotator attached to the tower.  In addition
> the 25G is a pretty light tower for that much wind load
>
> I'd not put a 3L 40 on anything smaller than a 45G
>
> 73
>
> Roger (K8RI)

Nope.  W3GM's rotors were mounted on an accessory shelf at 3 or 4'
above ground, to make
for easy working height.   The yagi was up for well over 15 years,
with no problems
on the tower, and only a few chewed up rotors.   The thin wall
irrigation tube mitigates
a significant amount of torque load on both tower and rotor.

Actually,  the 3 el 40 probably had less torque load than his big 20m
yagi did.
Each was on its own tower.

n2ea