Re: [TowerTalk] Relay lightening protection

To: "'Roger \(K8RI\)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Relay lightening protection
From: "Rex Lint" <rex@lint.mv.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 10:19:30 -0500
This reminds me of an incident when I worked at Sanders in Nashua NH.  An EE
thought he'd play a joke on me:
"Here, hold the ends of this coax.  I've got to measure the resistance...
It's a little less then a mile long..." (and it was coiled on a huge reel).
I held the connector shells, one in each hand, and he put the VOM across it.
"Thanks for doing this," he said, as he pulled the VOM leads off the coax.

This did more than "bite."  I damn near peed my pants.

He laughed.  I haven't liked EEs since.

      -Rex-

        K1HI
      Rex Lint
      Merrimack, NH

>If you take a small DC supply sufficient to pull in one of those relays
>at say 12 or 24 volts, hang onto the wires, and make the connection,
>watch the contacts close, then pull off one of the wires.  That sucker
>will bite! <:-)) Larger coils have teeth in them.

73

Roger (K8RI)