Re: [TowerTalk] Topband Digest, Vol 73, Issue 41

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Topband Digest, Vol 73, Issue 41
From: Craig Clark <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 12:53:57 -0500

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 09:46:15 -0600
> From: "K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com>
> Subject: Re: Topband: Coax
> To: <topband@contesting.com>
>
> > For receive I use RG-6/U quad shield from Home Depot. As I recall a 500
> > foot roll costs between $50 and $100 (closer to $50). It works great.
>
> > W2PM Replies:
> > Check Ebay for RG6 (and connectors, coax, tools, etc.).
> _________
>
> RG-6 construction varies widely from one brand to another. Try to find one
> that has a solid copper center conductor, since copperweld designed for
> VHF/UHF may have copper thickness less than the skin depth at 1.8 MHz.
>
> I have found that nearly all RG6 brands advertised for satellite systems
> have solid copper center conductors. One of the local home centers carries
> standard (not quad) RG6 from Carol Cable that has a solid copper center
> cond.
>
> 73, Gary
> K9AY

The key is to find RG6 that is swept to at least 3GHz. Satellite systems
(like Wildblue and Hughes) send at least 30 volts down the coax to the TRIA
(transmitter receiver.) For long runs CC steel does not cut it and these
coaxes all have a solid center conductor. If you dig a bit deepeer you can
also find direct burial grade RG6 that are flooded with a substance that
inhibits water ingress if the cable is nicked or scored.

I get mine from a Satellite TV distributor

73 Craig