[TowerTalk] WWII Caps

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] WWII Caps
From: "Hal Kennedy" <halken@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 18:03:27 -0000
Mica domino style caps from WW II onward (also known as transmitting
micas) are remarkably stable and efficient at RF (what they were made
for).  Most of them are Mil-Spec.  Most of the date codes on the ones
here are from the 1960s BTW, not the 1940s, although I would not
hesitate to use one from WW II.

They are $1 at any hamfest - typically found in junk boxes under a
table.  Blow one up?  $1 lost. They do not self-heal.  I have only
shorted one - after about five years of use.  I use them at 1500W in the
L networks for my 160 top loaded vertical and numerous other wire
antennas.  I use them outside in the rain - don't even both to cover the
things.  Most have current ratings that are around 5 amps but will do
much more.  Loss at HF is negligible.  You can feel them after a minute
of key-down, they are not even warm.  Series and parallel applications
work out fine.

They have little in common with the Tesla application, which requires
1000-amp-plus pulses to be delivered at high rep rates, and loss factor
(ESR and DF) optimized in the 100-200 KHz region.

Try 'em, you will like 'em.

73, Hal
N4GG