Re: [TowerTalk] dx blaster antenna

To: "Tower Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dx blaster antenna
From: "WA6RKN" <WA6RKN@ARRL.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 08:39:11 -0800
Hi Tony...

Can't speak to your figures, but.....I was always taught that 500 watts from
my amplifier, not addressing any gain factors in my antenna, will result in
a 3 db gain on the other end of the contact.  True?  I couldn't tell you,
just what I have been told.

But......

On average, again, band conditions not withstanding, if I am talking to
someone and he is cranking 80 - 90 watts barefoot, and he turns on his
amplifier and pumps 500 watts at me, generally speaking, his signal will
rise around 5 s-units.

Again, these figures are all 'just figures'...as there are too many factors
involved that will affect signal strength, etc.    (Gain of the antenna is a
very important factor......)

Me thinks this is gonna be a good topic...I look forward to all the
Net Forum here in Reno.  (With Talkian permissions, of course)

Joe Wolfe
WA6RKN