[TowerTalk] phasing multiband verticals (phasing at the antenna)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] phasing multiband verticals (phasing at the antenna)
From: "Dick Williams" <k8ztt@mho.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 10:09:30 -0600
Mal,

You are certainly correct in being able to have the phasing box at the
antenna (or anywhere else you might be inclined to run the two coax ant feed
cables to).

My bet is it is a function of cost.  I run LMR 600 to my phase box and it is
about 300 ft,  I can't say for sure, but my bet is the cost of 300 ft of 3
conductor"bell wire" is a tad less expensive than 300 ft of LM 600 and two
connectors (the Poly Phaser lightning arrestors are a "wash") assuming the
phasing and control box are in the shack and not outside.

Also I beleive you want to have the phasing lines to be 1/4 wave (or 1/2
wave multiples of that) including velocity factor.  I am not an engineer,
but what I have picked up is that allows you to "force feed" the antennas
with equal current (or something to that affect).

Dick K8ZTT