Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna crossover switch

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna crossover switch
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:20:28 -0500
> Probably a bit on the pricey side,

I agree that the price is a little steep. However consider what you are
getting.

Here is a success story.

While I was scrolling the Surplus Sales site (URL listed below)I happened
across an add for the 4 pole rotary coax switch. The part number is: (KC)
C4N4DB-A

This immediately caught my eye. I have used one of these same switches for
the past 53 years. I picked it up in a Mars surplus warehouse in 1955 while
I was in the Air Force. I have run legal limit thru this switch and have
never had any problems. This particular switch has an internal precision
machined drum which grounds the inactive ports and becomes a typical coax
"elbow" on the selected port.
In the 53 years of service it has been opened only once to clean and
re-lube. It got a little sticky in rotation last winter when it was near
freezing. I have it mounted in a box at the base of the tower and control it
thru Logger32 software for automatic antenna selection based on radio
frequency. It is solenoid operated and only needs power for rotation.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *
.

  (first
google hit) has a Transco 310C00100 for $375. It's rated 1kW at 1MHz

Or the 300-11002-2 for $345, rated at 1.5kW to 1GHz

Or the 12W1008, 2kW, for $275

Probably a bit on the pricey side, but
http://www.ickrom.com/pdf/delta01.pdf
handles about 150kW...