Re: [TowerTalk] Splitting twin lead for radials

To: Drax Felton <draxfelton@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Splitting twin lead for radials
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 22:50:58 -0400
Here is something to try.  Lets assume you want a 66 foot radial.  Cut
off a 66 foot piece.  Attach one end to a fixed object - say a tower.
Stretch it out, and put the other end into a variable speed drill
(preferably cordless).  Should nicely unravel the wire.  The other
option is to use a stick to turn the free end, but that can be a pain.
 Keep it taunt as you work.  Did I say this was a pain, and a lot of
work?

What I have done is cut off a piece as above.  Tie one end to a tower.
 Tie off the other end of both wires to a fixed object.  Start
untwisting the free wire, and roll it up as you go.

Do I recommend you do this?  Not really - it is a LOT of work, for a
small amount of gain.  Best to just tie the two wires together and
treat them as one.  While half a kilometer sounds like a lot, it will
make a good start for your radials....

Tom - VE3CX