Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Mast - guidelines for ratio in tower / out of to

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Mast - guidelines for ratio in tower / out of tower
From: "Ray Benny" <rbenny@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 18:55:28 -0700
Scott,

I have no background or technical knowledge on this subject; however, I have
the same mast that you have. It is mounted in a heavy duty 71 ft motorized
tower with about 7 ft inside the tower (prop pitch rotator) and 14 ft
sticking out. It has worked well for me.

For almost 25 years I had a 4 el KLM 40m yagi, 42 ft boom about 6 in out of
the tower, and a 5 el KLM yagi, 42ft boom at about 8 ft above the 40m yagi.
The remainder supported a boom strut. Those masts are made to flex. When I
received the tower and mast (used) I placed the ends of the mast on saw
horses, to paint it. There was about 6 in of sag just while setting on the
horses.

I can tell you that during 70 MPH winds the mast at the very top would flex
at least one foot, maybe more, but it always held. We may have had higher
winds, but I have no way of measuring them. The 20m yagi finally had to be
repaired so now I have a HyGain 204BA in its place.

Hope this helps,

Ray,
N6VR