[TowerTalk] Mast ratio in and out of the tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast ratio in and out of the tower
From: "Jon Casamajor" <k6el@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 03:06:51 -0000
Scott,

I?ve had mine up for over 20 years. The mast is Chrome Molly, 2?x 20?. I
have 4? of it in the tower below a large thrust bearing. The tower is a
Tristao HDX572 equivalent to the US Tower of the same model number. I?ve had
20²? on this tower for the whole time pretty much. I had a KT34-XA and the
402CD 40m Yagi, plus some other stuff with no issues. We do get some nasty
winds here, although not like the tornado country but occasionally 75 MPH.
I?ve had no problems with either the Tail twister that rotates the house
here or the mast. My current stack is a bit larger and you can see it at QRZ
on the K6EL page. I am confident that this stack will be here long after I
am. I?ve added 10? to the top of my mast and I think I?m still within a good
safety margin at least for my area assuming my stack is ?parked? properly
when the winds kick up. We don?t get many violent downburst type
thunderstorm stuff?occasionally, but pretty rare. Four or five feet inside
the tower, with a good thrust bearing would be fine in all but the most
violent conditions.

Regards,

Jon-K6EL

k6el@comcast.net