Re: [TowerTalk] Low Loss 400 Copies

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Low Loss 400 Copies
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:30:52 -0700
On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 10:58:41 -0700 (PDT), Dennis W0JX wrote:

>Three years ago, I purchased almost 100 feet of a LMR400
>"equivalent" from a well-known, reputable vendor at the Dayton
>Hamfest.

Hams tend to assume that if a vendor has been around for a while
and advertises in QST that they are "real." Often, hams tend to
believe that these vendors are experts in what they sell.

NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH! VERY OFTEN, these
vendors are experts in nothing more than BUYING and SELLING. For
example, Palomar and Amidon sell a lot of ferrites to hams, but
because I have extensively studied ferrites, it is obvious to me
that they know next to nothing about what ferrites are or how
they work. But they are experts in buying and selling, and they
BUY LOW and sell high (VERY HIGH), with virtually no value added.

That so-called reputable vendor SHOULD have done what you did --
actually MEASURE the loss of the coax he was selling. As you have
shown, it isn't all that difficult to do.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC