Re: [TowerTalk] Ladderline - what are the facts??/

To: Mike Brown <k9mi@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ladderline - what are the facts??/
From: chas <chasm@texas.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:03:48 -0500
Mike Brown wrote:
> Ladder line does radiate, and it does receive.
>
> What type of an antenna are you using, how long is the entire antenna
> (what band is it cut for?), and are you wanting to use it on one band,
> or multiple bands?
>
> 73, Mike K9MI

again, this is the Cobra Senior... googling it , it is found at
http://www.k1jek.com/

there are 100 reviews at
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3798

it hears well, talks well and tunes everywhere that the Army MARS
matrix requires.  I really have no idea where it is resonant in that
it seems to be happy everywhere except perhaps 5mhz band.  I really
need a broad, 500W capable, 60 meter band antenna.!!  That seems to be
where the NVIS propagation is anymore.  I don't think I have seen
Critical Freq make it up to 40 meters in a couple of years now.  or so
it seems.

My Senior is hung SW-NE at 50' on one end, sloping down to about 35'
at centerpoint, then out 50 feet to a support at 35' then I take the
last 20' back at right angles across the yard.  works very well at low
4mhz across the entire state of Texas and well into LA, AR and OK.
dropping into the ham bands at 90 to 120 meters, it works very well
into the western states to CA and up to WA.

the ladder line is laid across the polyester guy lines some 6' above
the roof of the house.

still not sure why the station out SW of SAntonio can get such a great
signal out with half of his 100' ladderline laying on the ground.???

thanks for the input.
chas, k5dam