Re: [TowerTalk] Hex Beam

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hex Beam
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 18:00:02 +0100
Gary,

If you've not already done so, you might want to take a look at the
figures on my web site:

http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/broadband/

I have no commercial interest in the Hexbeam, and I believe my figures
are an honest representation of what the antenna is capable of.

In summary:
* Gain is marginally less than a full-size 2-element Yagi; F/B across
the band is about the same, although peak F/B is better.
* Performance bandwidth is narrower than a full-size Yagi, especially on
what I refer to as the "Classic" design
* It maintains its performance on all five bands
* Turn radius is about half that of a full-size yagi
* Fairly light.

There's no magic! Just commendable directivity in a lightweight,
"half-size", package. For those that haven't been offered one at a good
price it's also very amenable to home-construction!

Regards,
Steve G3TXQ