Re: [TowerTalk] 40m BEAM BOOM

To: "WA3GIN" <wa3gin@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 40m BEAM BOOM
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:16:05 -0700 (PDT)
WA3GIN wrote:
> Thanks but I've had the dipole element up for over 5 years in King George
> County...have had 31 trees blow over but the antenna is just fine so far.
>
> What about the boom question.  Truss connection...all the to the end or
> half
> way...what do you think?
>
> The antenna is on a 110ft crank up.  I have it nested at 65ft just below
> the
> wa3gin

Nice data point on the irrigation tubing.  I think I'll
keep making antennas out of it :-)  We had a bunch of trees
blow down here 2 years ago ("50 year storm") and nothing
happened to my various irrigation tubing structures.

I have a MonstIR on a 106 ft tower.  The MonstIR boom is guyed
half way out.  The MonstIR elements are considerably heavier than
yours, and it sags a fair amount past the guy points.  You
won't have so much sag.

The problem you can get into if you put the truss at the end of
the boom is that the boom could get into an unstable equilibrium
and curve upward to relieve the stress of the truss.  This can be
triggered by tilting the beam during installation.  By having
some boom beyond the truss, this is much less likely to happen.

I vote for guying half way out.

Rick N6RK