Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Amphenol PL259

To: <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: Amphenol PL259
From: "David Branson KC0LL" <KC0LL@HOTMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 11:49:54 -0700
Yes, I understand your point. Also, just wondering were you work? As to your
application verses mine. At work we need a good, fast, and yet 100% foolproof
way to do them. But, I don't agree you would get an impedance discontinuity
with my way of installing them. At least when I sweep some of the cables I make
for combiners I have not seen it being any different, the ID/OD ratio is
basically the same either way. If you can keep from it, you don't use PL's on
UHF anyway, .
At work we are using "DS" RG58 coax using center foam dielectric, not solid
dielectric, (ours are mostly used on 800 MHz) and foam is very easy to melt
when you are upside down in a Taxi cab. Some of our government installs are
specked-out on exactly how to do theirs.

At work we use "N" connectors on our RG213, 9913, 400 etc. 99% of the time, all
our base antennas have "N". And we use crimp connectors most of the time with
"N" or 7/16 DIN.

The main problem we have had with connectors put on by others people for cement
trucks, etc. is when they are wooled around a lot, over years copper ends can
break off and short them out. With the shield folded over the out side of 213
this is an non issue. On anything that an impedanance discontinuity would
matter, like 800 radios we would be using "N". On our 2.4 or 5.8 microwaves, we
would of course be using hard-line or at least supperflex, and above that wave
guide, so this would be a non issue to us.
You NEVER use a PL259 on UHF if you are worried about impedanance
discontinuities. These are only good for HF and not great at VHF. But, we are
forced to use them when the radio has them on the back. Have you ever swept
them on UHF or 800? They are horrible when you get to 800 no mater how you
install them. I use "N" or 7/16 DIN when ever possible for all my ham radios,
and 7/8 for all coax I use www.kc0ll.net. But, the bottle neck is the back of
the radios.
Anyhow, that is my input, I am sure I have bored everyone at this point.
End of discussion..

David F. Branson

Senior Technician
Action Communications, Inc.
Tucson, AZ
520.792.0326
520.792.2709 fax
KC0LL@comcast.net
www.kc0ll.net
www.ActionCommunications.com

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
--- Abraham Lincoln

Freedom isn't Free, Support our Troops