Re: [TowerTalk] What antenna is this

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] What antenna is this
From: "larryjspammenot@teleport.com" <larryj@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2009 11:50:51 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
We have a few Scala antennas that look very much like the one in that picture.
They were purchased directly from Scala for the 2-Meter, 220 MHz and 440 MHz
ham bands. I ordered them in the early-mid 1990's for a ham radio emergency
comm center, and they were installed on top of our 3-story office building for
about 15 years. They were the Scala model OG-4 antennas, and I ordered two of
them for 145 MHz, and one each for 222 and 446 MHz. I also ordered a spare 145
MHz one, which we still have in stock. I'm glad I ordered the spare now, since
they're no longer available.

With some changes in the facility, they recently decided to retire the Scala
antennas and replaced them with some Diamond and Comet dual-band antennas (I
didn't order those!) But they wanted dual-band antennas for the newer dual-band
radios they just purchased, and didn't want to have to run additional 300+ feet
heliax feedlines through the building to support the extra new radios.

Across town, we also have a 2-Meter Repeater using a Scala OG-4 145 MHz antenna
on top of a 430 foot tower, which has been up for almost 20 years now and has
worked very well. But it's time to replace it since it's had a hard life in the
rain, wind, snow and hail over the years. It makes repeated signals have a
"scratching" sound when there's a strong wind.