[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G/Hazer Question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25G/Hazer Question
From: "Clay W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 10:39:33 -0700
I'm getting ready for the June VHF contest and plan to put 20' of Rohn 25G
and a Hazer at the peak of my roof for my 6 & 2M antennas (it will be
guyed).  The tower is replacing a single top section of 25G that is there
now.  I have two choices - add 10' to the bottom of my current top section
or just use two standard 10' sections.  The latter choice works a little
better for mounting the Hazer pulley assembly and has the advantage of
letting me pull the Hazer a couple of feet higher.  Both choices will work
though.  Is there any reason for using a top section rather than an open
section of 25G at the top.  The 25G top sections look like they might be a
little stronger since they have additional reinforcing at the top.  Also, if
I do use a standard section at the top, should I plug the top end of the
legs to keep water out or leave them open?

Comments?

Thanks and 73,
Clay  W7CE