Re: [TowerTalk] g 1000dxa alignment

To: jim Jarvis <jimjarvis@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] g 1000dxa alignment
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 00:53:06 -0400

jim Jarvis wrote:
> Thanks, all for the input.  In particular Dennis and Hans, for the
> firsthand experience.
>
> So far, I've determined that you have to align it, pointing North,
> (got my compass and plastic owl, right here.)   in order to avoid
> interference
> between the stops and the housing-boss.
>
> But I've got an error equal to half the overlap region, which
> suggests the top housing
> is 45 degrees offset from where it belongs.    What I apparently did
> is set the rotor to
> the center of its rotation, NOT to the North position.

I would think the center of rotation would have to be North (or South)
and every thing else would be set up for that.   It is with the PST-61.
I'd be a bit upset with a system that didn't do it that way.  That way
it has the same amount of overlap on each end of rotation for a total of
540 degrees. It has 90 degrees overlap on each end of rotation which
I've found to be very handy.  However I have the digital readout which
doesn't tell me which end I'm past. OTOH it's smart enough that if I
input a heading er...bearing and it's past the overlap it'll turn around
and go the other way.
> The indicator may be within calibration range, once I fix that.  The
> trick is not to lose your sense
> of direction, while turning the unit over twice, to disassemble.
> (Or your bearings, either!)
>
> If there's any good news here, it's that I'll be an expert at this,
> before I'm done.

Been there, done that with the PST-61 which uses a 10 turn pot for
sensing.  I was very careful about marking and documenting, but the
alignment still turned out to be a bit more time consuming and work than
I expected.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)