Re: [TowerTalk] optimum vertical height

To: Dan <n5ar@air-pipe.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] optimum vertical height
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 01:16:31 -0400

Dan wrote:
> Jim, obviously you are quite knowledgeable about antennas and have
> mentioned most of the factors to be considered. You did not mention the
> importance of the available ground system. If you have a lossless tuner
> and your ground system is sea water I suspect that a 160m antenna made
> of very conductive material could be reasonably efficient but would have
> a bandwidth that was extremely narrow as well as very high voltages and
> currents in it.
> Any reasonable ground system would seriously compromise the efficiency
> due to very low radiation resistance compared to ground resistance.
>   On the high frequency end, even 43 feet is so long that much of its
> radiation is at too high an angle to be  optimum. It seems to me that
> there is no best answer to your question unless you place some relative
> value on what is acceptable to you for each band.

If you are willing to settle for the top end being 20 meters then 43' is
just a little long as a 5/8ths wave.  I can't model it, but I'd guess
there are probably some lobes that would work on 15 and 10 although not
the best with the majority of the radiation at too high an angle to be
useful.  That doesn't mean the antenna wouldn't work, just not the best.

As Dan said, it'd be pretty short on 160, but could still work. Again
work and good are not quite the same thing. OTOH there are many who
swear by trap verticals which are notoriously poor, but if conditions
are right...

73

Roger (K8RI)