[TowerTalk] Purpose of Thrust Bearing

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Purpose of Thrust Bearing
From: Brian Machesney <nekvtster@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 07:00:03 -0400
I'm trying to clear up a point of my own confusion and/or ignorance w.r.t.
"thrust bearings."

I used to think that the "thrust" taken up by the bearing, e.g. when
supporting an antenna mast, was a vertical force. I have read a lot on this
reflector recently that contradicted that belief. In searching McMaster-Carr
for a bearing to take a vertical load, I find that they describe a "thrust
bearing" as being designed to, "Support loads parallel to their axis of
rotation."

This sure sounds to me like it's meant to support the weight of a mast and
antennas - a vertical force when we mount a thrust bearing in the hole at
the top of a tower or on an "accessory shelf."

Which is it?

73 -- Brian -- K1LI