Re: [TowerTalk] Multi-band HF antenna replacement

To: towertalk@contesting.com, jpl3@ptd.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Multi-band HF antenna replacement
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 19:51:38 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/2009 8:27:04 A.M. Central Daylight Time,

>  2 years ago my Tri-Ex tower collapsed (broken cable)   with Mosley Pro
67B atop.
Tower totalled, of course, and it's  replacment was erected on Memorial Day!
The 10 year old 67B (138# w/ 3''  boom) suffered relatively minor
damage:  boom with
minimal flex  distortion, 4 traps bent at the locking sleeves (all 4
replaced).   Partially
dismantelled antenna has been on a  flagstone walk by the house for
two(2) years awaiting
tower  replacement.  This has been a solid performer for me in the past.
However, should
this antenna be reconditioned and used or may there be  other hidden
trap gremlins from
age corrosion of internal contact  points and/or insect penetration.
Inclination is to  replace
ALL traps and recondition to new prior to  mounting.....OR...consider an
alternative !
Objective:   10-12-15-17-20-40m coverage
high performance
quality construction with long  service life.

>  On paper, the Force 12 has the coverage,   would be lighter (85# w/2'
boom) and trap free
(xcept Hi-Q coils on 40m  twin elements).  Have no experience with their
products and  service
other than generally well rated.
Reconditioning the 67B would be  a cost saving,  but traps can be a
problem and perhaps I have
been  fortunate in the past.
>  Requesting opinions on Pro67B -vs - Force  12 (ie. Delta 6BA ...XR-5 +
40M)
>  Other options?

    Umm, anything but Mosley? On our paper (the  published tribander
comparison report available from _www.championradio.com_
(http://www.championradio.com) ) we're on record  saying that the Mosleys (we
tested 2-3 of the PRO
series) "under-performed"  the competition. One of them even had negative
gain on one band. So my advice  is as I've stated - ABM.

    The F12 antennas we tested performed very well,  as did the Skyhawk. A
couple of other big tribanders weren't far behind.

You didn't define "solid performer". I have a  theory about Mosley owners
so you wouldn't be the first guy to say that.

And I haven't mentioned the SteppIR - Pick  a model. It's a monobander on
all frequencies. Can't beat that.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
Champion Radio Products