[TowerTalk] FW: raising platform question

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] FW: raising platform question
From: "Gary E. Jones" <garyejones@cmaaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 23:49:20 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary E. Jones [mailto:garyejones@cmaaccess.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2009 11:49 PM
To: 'ka5txl@arrl.net'
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] raising platform question

Toni:

I have two US Tower HDX-589 MDPL motorized crank up towers (89' extended and
23 feet nested). I needed to put 20' heavy duty masts in each tower because
I was going to put two yagis on each tower, one yagi 10' above the other on
each mast. To do the job, I rented a diesel powered "Man Lift". These are
the devices what one controls from a basket at the end of a telescoping
boom. The one I rented is a 65' man lift and it rented for about $400 per
day. I got it on Friday and gave it back on Monday and paid for one day. A
day is determined by the run time of the diesel engine (8 hours = 1 day) and
the engine needs be on only when moving the boom. This is the type of device
that one sees many construction companies using to install windows on three
story buildings, and you see workmen using working on the underside of
bridges, etc.

I needed to do almost all of the work on my two towers by myself and at 62
years of age, I needed some mechanical help. With the motorized man lift, I
was able to set both rotors, then set tall masts in each, and stack two big
yagis on each mast all by myself.

I know that a good 3 or 4 man antenna crew and a good climber can do all
this (I did it that way for 40 years with me doing all or most of the
climbing), but it also can be done the way you are anticipating. At this
point, I have more money than local climbing crew so, I did it myself.

Go for it.

        Gary     W5FI