[TowerTalk] Crank-up tower limit

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Crank-up tower limit
From: JP Lyet <jpl3@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 05:19:51 -0400
Had a Tri-Ex LM-354-HDSP cable failure 2 years ago.  Corrosion mostly,
but actual cause is not known.  Otherwise flawless service for 10
years.  In retrospect, suspect the antenna load may have been a
contributing factor as between the 6 band yagi, T2X rotor  and mast,
the total load was ~200#, or 80% of max load rating for tower!
Tower was totalled and recently replaced with identical unit.  Beam
refirbed to like new, but reluctant to use due to weight concerns.
Anyone else in the group pushing a crank-up tower to ~ 80% of dead
load limit on a regular basis?  Any other pearls or advice ?  Suspect
my beam would be better served on a fixed tower installation and new
tower with a lighter unit.
(that being the case, anyone interested in a M-67B-3 can contact me
off-line for specifics)
Tnx, 73
Paul /W3PL in Pa.

JPL