Re: [TowerTalk] Unique wire tuner

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Unique wire tuner
From: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2009 16:45:55 -0500
John,
It depends....

If your tuner has:

2 SO-239s mounted low on the rear panel,
a female banana jack next to each SO-239,
a ground lug between the SO-239s,
a group of 3 female banana jacks mid way up and slightly right of center,
the Porcelain (may be plastic if the tuner is a newer one) Feed- thru above
that,

Then Yes one must be jumpered.  Which one jumpered changes it from a LC tuner
to a CL tuner.  One for long wires and one for short wires.

On BAMA (google it) there is two files, one is a schematic and the other is a
pictorial of the "Wide Range Unique Wire Tuner" I described above.  If yours
(like mine) does not have all the Banana Jacks you have the original which is
not switchable.  You will have to download an utility called DjVu by Lizardtech
(free) to see them.

My tuner had two SO-239s on the rear when I got it, but it was modified
somewhere in its' history to be a coax-coax tuner (didn't work that way).

If you want to tune a long wire either will work well, but if you want to put
it at the base of a short vertical, you must have the "Wide Range" model or be
ready to cut it up for parts (may plan)

hope that helps,
Clint - W5CPT