Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Familiar with Jet Brand Winches

To: Dennis Vernacchia <n6ki73@gmail.com>, Tower Talk List <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Anyone Familiar with Jet Brand Winches
From: Kevin Normoyle <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 15:41:02 -0700
 >Wonder if anyone has used Jet Brand hand Winches

oh man. I love this question! I use a Jet IWF-2000N hand winch that I
bought as surplus relatively cheap
(its new price is $700+), on a HG-70HD crankup. 1/4" cable. I've never
heard of anyone else using them, and was embarassed to admit my use
because they're so overkill.. :)

It makes every other winch you've seen, look like a toy. I mean you
can't picture what a beefy hand winch is like till you see this one. I
think I could have gotten away with a IWF-1000N though. I've had no
issues with the 2000N lowering or raising. Nice and smooth.

They do spec vertical loads, so maybe you're not looking at the full
user's manual. (vertical load varies depending on the layer on the drum)

I have another IWF-1000N that's new/unused in the box, which is the next
model down, that I was going to use for the lifting mechanism I have,
but don't need anymore, that I'd sell, if you're looking for something
like that.
$200 plus shipping.  (note a Dutton Lainson B2500 can be around $200 new)

Comparative experience for me:
I have a Dutton-Lainson B2500 on a smaller WT-51 crankup. I don't like
the small drum size on that. Although for the lighter tower, the smaller
ratio makes it go up faster.
I have a Fulton K1500 on my lifting mechanism.

I can email pictures if you like, or maybe a little vid segment? (heck I
could post on youtube if you like)

I love the big drum on the Jet. I have HG-70HD crankup, and I only use
one layer, so no wire rope crushing.
The handle is adjustable, so you can adjust to wide diameter low effort,
or minimum diameter for speed.

You can look at the specs, but one drawback is the relatively low draw
per turn, because of the high ratio.

The brake mechanism makes a clicking sound when you winch it, so I
actually wear ear protectors when I winch it fast.

I throw a bit of tarp over it for weather protection when it rains, but
so far seems good. The brake system is more advanced than say the more
typical Fulton or Daimler. I only had that crankup up for two years,
stored two years, and it's back up this year.

I got the IWF-2000N because I wanted to fit inside their spec for
vertical, but now that I'm more experienced with crankups, I realize
that model was a bit of overkill.

The 1000N  has a lower ratio, so has the benefit of more draw per turn
(still, just 1" !)  but I've no experience with the 1000N on the
crankup. My feeling is that the 1000N should be sufficient for a 72'
crankup though.

Here are the 1000N specs (note the weight. These things are beefy!)

Cable Size     5/16"
Maximum Drum Capacity     98'
Number Of Layers On Drum     5
Vertical Lift Capacity On First Layer     1,653'
Vertical Lift Capacity On Last Layer     996 lbs.
Horizontal Pull Capacity On First Layer     10,000 lbs.
Length Taken Up Per Turn     1"
Gear Ratio     [12.2:1]
Hand Pull Required To Lift Load     22 lbs.
Handle Length     13-3/4"
Overall Dimensions     15-7/8" x 10-1/2" x 8-7/16" (L x W x H)
Net Weight     43 lbs.

I thought I was the only one in the world with Jet winches. I originally
went with it because I had the HG-70HD in a remote location and I was
worried about power failures, and heard all the stories people talking
about wearing themselves out with the lighter duty fulton/DL winches.

If you don't have the manuals for the winches with all the specs, I can
find them (pdf) and email.

-kevin
ke6rad