Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA data files

To: Vytenis Sciucka <vytenis.sciucka@gmail.com>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA data files
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 06:19:24 -0400
Hi Vytenis.  Several things:

You need to use the arrival angle data at
http://www.arrl.org/notes/9876/, which are updated using the latest
version of VOACAP, which has some significant changes, particularly
at low angles.  The YT data you used date from 2000.

Because of the size of the United States, a statistical file for
"LY-US" is necessarily going to involve compromises.  I don't know
whether N6BV used the center of the USA for his VOACAP runs to
develop those tables, or if he somehow averaged statistics for
multiple USA areas.

1000 KM is a fairly significant distance between locations when
comparing propagation with a program such as VOACAP. I wish I could
hear some of the things that my friends in New England and Florida
hear on various HF bands at various times.

73, Pete N4ZR