Re: [TowerTalk] Powder coat or galvanize - tree mount fixture

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Powder coat or galvanize - tree mount fixture
From: Tim N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 13:39:59 -0500
wland wland wrote:

> Now i was offered 2 choices:
>  a) Galvanize
>  b) Powder coat

>  Powder coating - I was told by the steel shop that it should be relatively
>    in expensive. I don't know much about the durability of this method.

>  Any suggesitions , please fire away?

The company I work for manufactures steel containers that are used to
hold drained used oil filters, oil collected from "do-it-yourself"
mechanics, and grease from restaurants. We have them powder coated by
an outside supplier. Even with all the rough handling from being
banked around on parking lots, shoved with fork trucks, etc. and
living outside they hold up very well. It is really hard to chip off
the coating.

I don't know which would be less expensive for your application but I
believe a professionally powder-coated item would hold up in the
weather as well as a galvanized one.

Tim, N9PUZ