Re: [TowerTalk] STEPPIR QUESTION

To: "Towertalk e-Goups" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] STEPPIR QUESTION
From: "Dave - AB7E" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:47:12 -0700
Having just had the induced surge from a lightning strike fry the controller
for my PST-61D rotator (blown PC board traces at the connector for the control
cable even with surge suppressors across the cable lines), I wonder if a truly
isolated system using a few feet of relatively inexpensive plastic fiber optic
cable wouldn't be the best approach for control lines.  It wouldn't avoid
issues of differential ground voltages since you'd still need power for the
actual drivers, but at least it would help keep control line surges out of the
controller boxes.  The driver transistors themselves at the antenna end of the
fiber optic cable could be socketed for easy replacement.

Just a thought ...

73,
Dave   Ab7E