[TowerTalk] OT Re: private emails not getting through Re: Recent posts

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: [TowerTalk] OT Re: private emails not getting through Re: Recent posts
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 06:55:08 -0400

On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:56 PM, jimlux<jimlux@earthlink.net> wrote:

> With respect to the latter, emails can go astray for a variety of reasons.

        All of my email has forwarded to the same address (@mit.edu)
for the past 10 years, so I'm on a lot of spammers' lists.  When I
used Eudora, I used a local filter called Mailwasher which worked well
but required a lot of maintenance to keep current.  Then I switched to
gmail which has its own excellent spam filter.  About 2-3 months ago
MIT started using Symantec's Brightmail spam filter.  This is a
fantastic product if you can get access to it, but it may be for
corporate users only.

        Opening today's mail I got my daily quarantine summary which
indicated 88 spam messages at Brightmail.  So far, not one of the
messages quarantined in 2-3 months has been false.  Today's one
remaining spam was caught by gmail, so I had 88 caught by Brightmail,
1 caught by gmail and zero in my Inbox.  This is very typical although
a few spams do occasionally make it through (of course then you mark
them as spam which goes into gmail's database).  The key for both
Brightmail and gmail is that you can always review messages classified
by them as spam to be sure good messages are not lost.

        I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't use gmail.  It has
an excellent internal spam filter, your messages (and attachments) are
archived forever and you can easily access it from anywhere.  It's
also easy to set up to retain the same email address you've always
used as I have.

                                                  73,  Bill  W4ZV