Re: [TowerTalk] Shrink Tubing on Coax & PL-259?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shrink Tubing on Coax & PL-259?
From: N7KA@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 17:31:02 +0000 (UTC)

I wrap all connections with electrical tape before doing any additional
weatherproofing.

But I use the following trick to ensure clean connectors if ever need to open
the connection/splice.

Beginning just above the connector I start wrapping electrical tape on the
cable.  After 1 turn I twist the tape so the subsequent wraps are applied with
the glue side OUT.  After completing one continuous wrap across the splice I
then twist the tape to glue side in inward and wrap several turns on the
cable.  I then put another layer of electrical tape over the entire splice with
glue side inward.  I then use  a rubber splice tape,3M    or Plymouth make it,
and wrap the entire splice.

The rubber tape when properly applied is self vulcanizing and provides a good
seal.

If using a shrink sleeving I use the type that has a sealant inside that will
ensire a weatherproof seal after shrinking has been completed.

Years later if I make any changes I have clean connectors with no glue residue
from tape, except for that from the edge of the electrical tape first layer
(very little if any).

A weatherproof splice and clean connectors the end goal.

Arne N7KA