Re: [TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower

To: TowerTalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] World's toughest fixes - 2000' tower
From: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:53:39 +0000
One day, many years ago, I was on the observation deck of the Empire

State Building. There was a crowd of schoolgirls there with chaperones.

I had a 2" steel Ball Bearing that I placed on the steel floor. Now it was

a rather windy day. Shortly the ball started moving back and forth. One

of the chaperones asked me why the ball was moving, I told her the ball

was not moving. After a bit of thought, they quickly moved the group to

the elevators !!

IIRC, the Empire State Building is spec'ed to sway in high winds. The exact

numbers elude me.

73, Dick, W1KSZ