[TowerTalk] Vertigo on the Tower

To: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Vertigo on the Tower
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 22:20:54 -0400
> I don't know ... but some of those 2000 foot towers come down rather
> suddenly.  Wasn't there another one in the last year?
>
> When I was up on top of a much shorter tower, I suddenly realized that the
> top of the tower wasn't anchored to the sky anymore.  Didn't matter whether
> or not it was moving.  That kind of really changed my perspective.  That,
> and the dead bird that was wedged in right in front of me.

Don't do this without being securely fastened to the tower.
Pick a day with blue sky covered with lots of fast moving little
cumulus. About 10' down from the top, lean back against your harness,
fold your arms. and then look up so the top of the tower is highlighted
against those fast moving clouds. This works even better if you can't
see the top set of guys.  You'll swear that tower is going over and it
takes a lot of willpower to not grab the tower.  Even though you *know*
the tower is solid and the clouds are moving, the visual image tells you
otherwise. Don't push your luck and get motion sick. <:-)) One of the
causes for motion sickness is when you sense of balance and what your
eyes are telling you, conflicts.  If you start getting a wee bit green
around the edges, just look back at the tower in front of you as you can
see it with the ground as a background.   That *usually* stops "the
feeling" it right away...that is if you haven't tried to fight it too
long.  Otherwise, get out the umbrellas and "look out below". IOW
incoming! or is that "up coming"?  <:-))

I've been flying for many years and only had two passengers get airsick.
I've actually had some who wanted to keep doing 2 G turns.  Famous last
words "Motion doesn't bother me, I rode the roller coaster 5 times last
week".

73

Roger (K8RI)
Two years ago I was learning how to walk again. Two weeks ago I got my
medical back.