Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Wiring Problem

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] SteppIR Wiring Problem
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 22:09:23 -0700
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 00:10:55 -0400, Dick Green WC1M wrote:

>There's no limit switch or other form of protection. There's a break in one
>or more wires.

>It's not likely that there's a break inside the main control cable unless it
>somehow got really abused during installation or has gotten pinched
>somewhere.

Thanks for the ideas and advice from one and all. Being an audio guy, I
connectorized it at the antenna with an XLR5 for each element. That's probably
where the break is, but having done field service in my younger days, have
learned to think about all the possibilities.

I strongly agree with those who criticize some aspects of the design of these
products, and this is one that cries out in that regard. You don't have to
look at that cable and it's sloppy termination to say, "that's an accident
waiting to happen." And it did. Robust mechanical construction of fundamental
parts (like the wiring to these motors) should not be an extra cost option!

73,

Jim K9YC