[TowerTalk] Rohn 25 HAZER Installation Hints Needed

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 HAZER Installation Hints Needed
From: Doug Snowden <dougn4ij@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 13:49:54 -0500
I was lucky enough to get several sections of Rohn 25, and included
was a homemade Hazer.
I have never seen Hazer up close, but from the pictures of the Glen
Martin Hazers, that look
like they are bolted together, this one appears tp be superior in
construction to them, as it
is made of welded steel plate, and flat bar stock that is probably 1/4
inch think. It weighs about
50 pounds. The pulley at the top is also constructed of plate and
clamps to the tower legs, not
the z bracing.  Anyway, I have quite a bit of surface rust removal to
do before I even attempt to
put the Rohn 25 up. Combined with lots of arthritis to deal with, that
will take a while.
But never mind - my question is - what is the best safety mechanism to
keep the Hazer up ?
I have seen the spring loaded  mechanisms that click past the tower
rungs as the thing is raised.
 Since you are right under this while cranking up, I would like to be
really sure it will stay up there.
I saw one post somewhere where a guy said he put a 4X4 across the
tower to stop the fall.
My thoughts are: a quality stainless cable that is over-rated and good winch.
Maybe another rope or cable that somehow hangs from the top to be a safety.

Ideas?

Doug, N4IJ